Thorberg is brewed at one of newest state-of-the-art breweries in Belgium. It is one of the most advanced micro breweries in Belgium with an amazing team of top brewers.
The answer is simple, a perfectly balanced and flavorful Belgian IPA brewed in Belgium with care and devotion and the best combination of Belgian and American hops and brewing innovation.
The history and craftsmanship of an American IPA (India Pale Ale) is as much about the American brewing ingenuity and exploration as it is from storied Belgian beer tradition. Surprisingly, the American IPA was inspired by the complex, fruity and spicy character of Belgian Strong Ales.
American IPA's have a terrific and pleasant flavor thanks to special American hop varieties that provide bold citrus and fruity types of bitterness. An IPA with only European hops does provide a harmonious body but it does not achieve the same citrus or fruitiness.
But lightning happens when we combine the best Belgian aromatic hops with American hop varieties. Our quest for the best Belgian IPA starts with the amazing tastes these five hops provide.
Mosaic combines a very complex hop aroma with fairly high alpha-acids and low cohumulone which makes it a perfect triple purpose hop (Bittering/Flavor/Aroma). This combination ultimately provides clean bitterness and aroma profiles that cannot be accomplished by other hops or blends, truly a one of a kind and yet another “wonder hop”. Rich in Mango, lemon, citrus, earthy pine, tropical fruit, herbal and stone fruit notes.
What happens when centuries of Belgian brewing expertise meets with a popular American craft beer style?
Mild and delicate hop variety with sweet floral characteristics. Has been cultivated since 1790.
This is a brand new hop variety that has everyone in the beer community talking and so far it lives up to the hype! We were able to get our hands on this special hop! A pronounced aroma profile with citrus, tropical fruit, floral and herbal characteristics. Specific descriptors include lemon, lime, papaya, apple, and green pepper.
Thorberg is crafted with a specially selected Belgian malt.
- Pleasantly fruity & citrus nose and taste
- Harmonious and balanced body
- Crisp and hoppy after taste
Alcohol by volume: 6.5%
International Bitterness Units: 40
Serving Temperature: Cool
With our Five Hop Belgian IPA we bring together late and dry hopping techniques with 5 of the finest Belgian and American hop varieties: Golding, Willamette, Mosaic, Citra and Equinox. Additionally, our specially selected yeast provides a full rounded taste and balance that is so wonderful in Belgium beers. The secret is the secondary fermentation and this is fully noted when you pour every single drop of the bottle in your glass. Only then, will you benefit from the extra flavours the secondary fermentation contributes.
In our quest for the perfect Belgian IPA, we have brought the best of this popular American beer style back to Belgium and combined it with advanced brewing techniques such as the skillfully late and dry hopping that provides better and fresher hop aromas, the double fermentation that rounds out the body of the beer harmoniously, the Belgian malt that makes Belgian beer so delicious. The entire process is executed with Belgian finesse that has been fine-tuned over centuries.
Our goal was none other than to brew the best Belgian IPA possible. We are confident we have succeeded.
Fresh Belgian Golding hops
Citra Hop imparts a wonderful citrus and tropical fruit character to Thorberg. Citra hops are a fairly new hop variety that allow us to create new amazing flavors that were not possible before.
Why is Thorberg worth every drop?
We did not compromise any quality aspect and only used the very best ingredients, the latest techniques, specialized extra steps and took extra time and care in our quest to brew the best Belgian IPA.
- Five of the best, rarest and tastiest hops. We combine Citra, Willamette, Golding, Mosaic and Equinox for amazing flavors. Beers are often made with just one of these hops. We combined a whopping five of them in absolute perfect harmony.
- Three different hopping techniques including late and dry-hopping to capture the best and freshest hop aromas
- Five times as much hops than a typical craft Belgian triple. We don't dare to compare to mass produced beers because it looks insane.
- Two fermentations for better balance and finish including two extra weeks of bottle fermentation in the dark room. This also allows us to keep our flavors stable for over a period of two years which is unheard for an IPA. Think of it like a good wine.
- The best of American and Belgian brewing. We have taken the best American style IPA as the basis and progressed the style to another level by adding all the Belgian brewing finesse.
- Six weeks brewing process for optimal flavor
- 6.5% alcohol by volume for better taste.
The quest for the perfect Belgian IPA is over. Thorberg Five Hop Belgian IPA is rated by more than 1000 consumers as one of the best Belgian IPA on the market.
If you wonder why some of the mass produced beers with centuries old recipes taste all very similar, then here is your answer.
These hop varieties have only been recently been available and allow for taste experiences of a different level. Some of them are only available in limited quantities. Upgrade your beer selection.
Here are the five hops we use in perfect harmony for Belgian IPA
Discover Thorberg Belgian IPA at the best craft beer bars, Vol de Nuit, New York
- Belgian hop: Golding
- American hops: Willamette, Mosaic, Citra and Equinox.
Combination of dry and late hopping for fresher hop aromas
Cheese Pairing Ideas: Blue, Cheddar, Edam, Gorgonzola
Food Pairing Ideas: meat dishes, spicy food, ...
Named after Oregon’s Willamette River, which runs through this US state’s hop growing region. Willamette has been on the market for 30 years. This hop variety is characterized by a low alpha acids content and a mild, pleasant aroma.
Thorberg Five Hop Belgian IPA:
Savour every drop of this highly rated Belgian IPA. Mightily Worthy!
This is a Belgian IPA that is extremely well balanced with an inviting nose, a very refreshing, crisp and fruity body and an amazingly low saturation level in the finish (which is extremely difficult to achieve) which leaves you just wanting more of the perfectly combined fresh hop aromas before it all finishes very smoothly.
Hop Varieties - New possibilities
Real consumer feedback from beer rating app Untappd:
- "Really fn good. And somehow this is a Belgian."
- "Very cool Belgian IPA."
- "Really good."
- "love this"
- "Good stuff"
- "Me like!"
- "Wow...great beer. I see a case of this in my future and little more research about this brewery."
- "A nice, hoppy IPA. Love it!"
- "Lots of hop. Nice citrus aromas. Not very bitter."
- "Nice and hoppy - get it again - not too strong and good flavour"